Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Taking on a Sukkah

This year the Birthright NEXT Shabbat program is offering Shukkah grants, and I signed us up for one. My family never made a sukkah. I don't actually know one person who constructed one when I was growing up. I remember driving by temples and synagogues and seeing them, but I don't really remember having an experience when I was a child.

Fast forward to college, and I started to embrace the religiousness of Judaism. I remember the 'pop-up' sukkah that was featured in the middle of campus and I remember shaking my lulav and etrog.

When I got my first 'real' job I was still on a college campus. They constructed a sukkah in the middle of campus, and they had free pizza, so I used to head over there for my sukkah experience.

Now that I'm an adult, and don't work on a college campus, we've decided to build our own.

Last night we actually discussed the plan. Turns out that we had two completely different ideas about how to go about building one, and the purpose of building one of our own...

Plan 1: PVC pipe with some metal pipe. Putting it over our concrete pad in the back and using the walls of the garage and house as some structure

Plan 2: 2x4's and other wood- materials. Lots of screws and such...

We'll see how it all goes down. Are you building a sukkah? Anyone else out there with a NEXT Shabbat grant?

No comments:

Post a Comment