Friday, September 30, 2011

Rosh Hashana Menu

With Rosh Hashana dinner and day one over, I thought I would share the menu we made. Our family does a mix of potluck/menu planning that asks everyone to contribute something. Sometimes I like it, but generally I find it annoying not to know what's coming. This year, however, it worked out well.

We had a meat meal, so no milk until we get to dessert.

Here is our menu. I will share links to recipes where I can:

Appetizers:
1. Veggie dip with Hummus. This was brought by our the cousins that live the closet. Of course I had them bring it because I thought they would be early, alas, they were the last to arrive.
2. Apples with honey, peanut butter, or cinnamon sugar. This was a delight. It fulfilled the custom of a sweet new year, and we all really enjoyed them together.

First Course:
Fish Stew: This was a new one for my family. Usually we have gefilte fish, but I thought that fish stew would be a new take on the fish tradition. It went over well, and nearly everyone enjoyed it, even the kids.

Main Course:
Brisket: I made my brisket the traditional way- Heinz Chili Sauce, Lipton Onion Soup mix. Some baby potatoes and carrots topped it off. 12 hours in the crock pot
Salad: A basic salad brought by family. A nice green addition
Pomegranate Beet Salad: This was a hit! Such a success! It turned my hands red, and also my foot, but totally worth it.
Tzimmis: A wonderful side dish with apricots, potatoes, onions, oranges. Such a sweet addition. I had my mother make it, and I definitely need her recipe.

Dessert:
Honey Chocolate Cake: This cake is AMAZING! Everyone loves it. Topped with dark chocolate. It doesn't have milk, if you use the right chocolate.
Apple Strudel: Also amazing! Such a great dish, totally a hit. And very easy to make.

Apparently I really like the LA times recipe section! Almost ALL of them are from that newspaper.

I'll share pictures of the table setting, we lit it with candles and had some white roses. It was quite a special evening.

How was your meal? What did you cook?

No comments:

Post a Comment