Friday, September 23, 2011

Rosh Hashana

The Holiday of Rosh Hashana is upon us. In previous years Matthew and I have joined my parents for services at their temple. We've gone to someone else's house for dinner and stayed the night at my parents. This year, in honor of our new home, we will host our first family holiday meal.

In past years, even before Matthew and I were married we hosted holidays. We have an annual Lakte vodka party, we've hosted 2nd night Passover for almost 5 years. But never have we had all the family gathered at a place that we consider our home.

In trying to establish our own Jewish Identity we were told by our Rabbi during pre-marital counseling that we should look for things to call our own. We should discuss the meanings of traditions and decide what we valued.

Here, this year, for the first time, in our new home we will put our ideas against the traditions of my larger family's.

I certainly hope that we'll be successful in making the holiday feel like it's ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment